Only two hours from Melbourne, but a world away, is Lake Mountain Alpine Resort, overlooking the stunning valley surrounding Marysville.
- Only 22km from the beautiful township of Marysville.
- During snow season, there is over 30km of cross-country ski trails to explore, as well as dedicated areas for tobogganing and general fun play in the snow.
- During warmer weather, enjoy walking trails, road cycling, mountain biking, tube runs and the flying fox, or just sit back and relax in the fresh air and soak up the sunshine and stunning scenery.
- While there are no accommodation options on the mountain, you can camp in certain restricted areas, and there are plenty to choose from in nearby Marysville.
- Restaurant, Bar and bistro open 7 days during snow season and available for group booking during green season. A beautiful venue for functions and weddings.
A mountain of fun all year round!
We were genuinely surprised to find so much to do at a location that many would think only suitable for visiting during winter, and if you yourself have only seen it during the cooler weather, it is well worth the visit to see the change and experience the different activities during the warmer months, including:
- Mountain biking
- Road Cycling
- Tube runs
- Flying fox
- Bush walking
- Functions and events.
We had an absolute blast during our time here! The Tube Run is something we had never seen before – and if you’re imagining a run that will make you sopping wet in the freezing cold, then think again! Pop yourself into a large rubber tube, wait for the push down the hill and enjoy the twirling as you fly down the plastic matting. Just a note for any witnesses – keep an eye out for the feet as they fly past, or you may just see your phone or camera flying through the air! The walk back up the hill was a little tiring, but not enough to stop us all going down again and again.
The flying fox was also a thrill-a-second, and something only we participated in. Though Susie is scared of heights, the ground does not just disappear at the launch pad and so it makes it much easier for those who are a little unsure of the height. Once you are on the fox flying across the gulley, you’ll forget about the height and just marvel at the view. Trust us – it was so good, even Susie had to do it twice.
We enjoyed a picnic lunch (thanks to our friends at Black Spur Inn) at the tables overlooking the tube run, and agreed we were lucky to have visited and seen this beautiful place during warmer weather. It’s somewhat hard to imagine it all covered in snow, but we’ll be back to see it then for sure!
The Resort is home to a number of events throughout the year, including the 7 Peaks Run, Roller Ski Race, Spring X Country Ski Race, Fast & Female Clinic, Sky Run and more. Visit their Calendar of Events at http://lakemountainresort.com.au/events.